Hnefatafl is an ancient Scandinavian board game whose variants were played all over medieval Europe before chess was even invented. In those so called Tafl games two different sized armies fight each other. The invading black army tries to capture the white king, while the defending white army tries to protect their king and help him escape.
Often also called the Game of the Vikings Hnefatafl tells many stories, like the Moskowites invasion of Sweden or the Viking hordes pillaging Britain. But no matter what the story is one thing always stays the same: The hunt for the king.
Even though the rules aren’t complicated the game offers fascinating strategies and rewards tactical play. Try to surround the enemy pieces, plan ahead, lay traps and force your opponent into surrender. Will you capture the king for gold and glory? Can the loyal guards hold back the invading forces and secure the flight of their king?
For offline play you can create your own custom variants — with over 200,000 different variants possible!
This game features:
– Variant “Hnefatafl”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Copenhagen Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Historical Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Berserk Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Fetlar Rules”
– Variant “Sea Battle 11×11”
– Variant “Tablut”
– Variant “Tablut – Historical Rules (“Saami”)”
– Variant “Foteviken Tablut”
– Variant “Ard Ri”
– Variant “Brandubh”
– Variant “Magpie”
– Variant “Tawlbwrdd”
– Variant “Alea Evengelii”
– Custom variants for offline play
– Offline play for two humans
– Offline play against various computer opponents
– Online play via Google Play
– Ingame Chat for Online play
– Achievements via Google Play
– Tutorial/Rules included
This app is supported by advertisement which can be disabled through a one-time purchase of IAP.
– Internet Access is required for the advertisements
– In-App-Billing/Purchase is required for the optional removal of advertisements
Follow us on:
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HnefataflAndroid/
– Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/110326299901762374381
– Twitter: https://twitter.com/FellhuhnDotCom
Includes artwork created by Thomas Jacquin (http://www.thomasjacquin.com) which are part of the Tafl-Sets of Legend Board Games (https://www.facebook.com/Legend-Board-Games-1036405806381852).
The talented Giuseppe D’Addio has translated the game to Italian!