Well I’m still not getting any luck with my new Paperwhite in conjunction of using it with my windows 7 laptop. It still shows up in devices and printers but the pc wont allow me to eject or remove the device as it shows as an internal hard drive/device and as such isn’t ejectable.
If I connect it to my Chromebook it works as it should, immediately opening as a new drive/folder and allowing me to see and have access to my new Paperwhite no problem. I can also safely eject it with my Chromebook. So it’s some kind of misunderstanding with my laptop it’s not being recognised as the external device it is.
One a side note my first generation Paperwhite works as it should, opens the dialogue box and being listed as an external device/drive that I can access and eject from my computer page like all similar usb devices. I’ve tried several usb leads including the one that came with the new Paperwhite but still it doesnt connect as it should and I cannot access the PW.
I did use the Calibre server option and using the experimental browser to wifi some files over to my new PW but this is a long winded way to do it and I can only download/move one file at a time. Very slow going. So it must be some kind of misunderstanding with my laptop and the newer Kindle.
That said I do like the new PW and the whiter cleaner screen. The page turns are snappy and the light is more even and without the shadows that I have at the bottom on my original PW.
I will just use my Chromebook to sideload books onto the device in future. This will also come in handy when updates to firmware come through. For some strange reason for the last couple of years I’m not getting the updates via wifi. No matter how many time I hit the sync button on the device. I have to download to pc and sideload which I cant do with my new PW and laptop. Luckily I have my Chromebook to come to the rescue. And I can sideload content via that rather than my laptop.
Maybe a firmware update down the line will simply solve the bug. That’s what if feels like to me and small niggling bug in the firmware which is a different one from the firmware on the PW1 currently.